Since 2016 we are a member of ‘The Code’ supporting child Protection against all sorts of exploitation including commercial and sexual exploitation in travel and Tourism Industry.
About 'The Code'
The Code (short for “The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism”) is an mutli-stakeholder initiative with a mission to provide awareness, tools and support to the tourism industry in order to prevent the sexual exploitation of children.
The sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism encompasses a broad spectrum of exploitation of children including in prostitution and pornography, for the production of online child abuse material, and in the sale and trafficking of children in all its forms, as well as various travel products that put children at risk of exploitation, such as voluntourism, orphanage tourism and mega sporting events.
According to the Global Study there is no country that is untouched or immune to this crime, and the tourism and travel industry can play a key role in its front line position to prevent the sexual exploitation of children directly in its tracks.
When companies become members of The Code they commit to taking six essential steps to protect children, which we call the six criteria of The Code.
There are to:
- Established a policy and procedures against sexual exploitation of children
- Train employees in how to recognise and report potential cases of child abuse
- Include clauses in supplier contracts stating zero tolerance of sexual exploitation of children
- Provide information to travellers on how to recognise and report suspected abuse
- Engage and inform key skateholders for protection of children
- Report annually on your company's progress so we can publicise your inspiring work
Learn more about The Code and how we work to protect children at www.thecode.org